Friday, December 5, 2008

Annual Xmas Display Mockery

So now let's move on to a little something that has become an annual tradition here at Ramblings... the salute to Tacky & Ugly Christmas light displays.

They pop up everywhere, and beg to be mocked. I'll share a few examples....





















A classic example of someone clearly paying homage to the Chinese light/decoration industry.

If you look closely, you can see that they missed an inch here & there. Tisk tisk



























Then you have unfortunate hostage situations, the inflatables took over here- Nobody goes anywhere till we get the figgy pudding!


























Hand me my sunglasses please, this one is hurting my eyes......
























Pink Flamingos pulling a sleigh? Just pathetic



















I know there is a theme here, but I fail to discern....























Attack of the killer plastic snow zombies....
























The Big 3 are doing everything they can to try to sell vehicles....
























Divorced Santa gets the trailer, and no elves....

























Global Warming? We don't believe in it.... Merry Christmas Utility Company!

(Is there actually a house there??)
























We considered Cedar or Aluminum siding, but in the end, decided to go with lights...

























See, some people know how to do a tasteful display!

Maybe you will post some winner displays from your neck of the woods?

So remember to have fun & laugh, life's short & laughter is good.

8 comments:

Christopher said...

I like no. 3.

Mary said...

Nothing delights me more than an old run down house with a string of big old fashioned colored bulbs. Keeping it simple.

Fran said...

I have been tinkering with making a large peace sign of light.

That's it! That IS my theme and hope for the new year.

Distributorcap said...

i want to see the house with the giant menorah that eats up 1/2 the electricity generated by Hoover dam

LOL

who spends time putting up those lights

Dada said...

I was hoping with the imploding economy we wouldn't have to suffer such gaudiness.

Oh well, maybe NEXT YEAR??!!

Mauigirl said...

I actually love the gaudiest of displays with as many lights as possible. We, of course, don't do anything like that. All I do is put a wreath on the door. But I do like to go look at other people's displays! There used to be one near us that looked like the example you gave where they considered cedar siding "but went with lights" that overlooked the Garden State Parkway. The Parkway actually got clogged up by all the cars slowing to look at that house!

There was another one we used to go see that had all kinds of lit up reindeer and lights and everything you can imagine and had the whole garage set up like Santa's Workshop with moving figures pretending to make toys! Amazing. I really hand it to people who get into the spirit of the season like that! LOL, I know, the real spirit is supposed to be peace and love, but a lot of lights is cheerful in the dead of winter.

Fran said...

D Cap: Oy!

Dada: Hope springs eternal!

Maui: I don't know.... some displays are just sooo overdone-- imagine the time & cost of not only putting up the displays, but buying all the stuff.
They really are made in China, and I'm not opposed to some festive lights, but it's like americans feel they must overdo everything to the extreme.
How about spending half that fortune on some donation to charity, or the time doing something helping someone rather than these crazy displays that, are burning up resources.
I love art, and I understand this is supposed to be a form of art & expression, but some of this is not even artful, is more about cramming in more stuff.

Less is more....

D.K. Raed said...

you notice those flamingos are pulling a sleigh with a tinfoil reindeer, no santa? a prime example of cross-training.

I rather liked the zombie snowmen, but nothing, NOTHING, not even enough lights to make the vegas strip look like a cheap keyless lampholder attic light, can compete with the T-Rex who must've just eaten santa!

Thanks for the laugh!