Sunday, August 1, 2010

A For Real invitation

Yes this is from the Quaker Friends weekly bulletin:

Friends' Summer Party at the Harrison’s Ranch: First Day, August 15, 4 p.m. to sunset, at Sue & Jim Harrison's land, Lorane Highway. Potluck dinner; bring the kids!! The vision for this blessed piece of forest has been not only a place of refuge for nature and a home for generations of the Hudson family, but also a place for Quakers to gather. Note: The Harrison's bridge is out; people will have to hike in a half mile over rough terrain. We might also contend with poison oak, yellow jackets, and heat, along with the beauty of the creek, the peaceful forest, and its resident nesting osprey.
How about that for an invite?

Bring the kids- poison oak AND yellow jackets?

Hiking through poison oak & yellow jackets, while carrying a potluck dish a half mile over rugged terrain..... who could resist?

Why not just say due to the fact the bridge is out, the Harrison's potluck has been canceled, because let's face it- if you have poison oak & multiple yellow jacket stings, the peaceful forest & beautiful creek are less appealing. Or- add this to the invitation--

Bring your epi pen* for yellow jacket stings, a cortisone injections for poison oak. Just sign a waiver @ the bottom of the hill, in case you are prone to anaphylactic shock. 

* Epinephrine injection is used to treat life-threatening allergic reactions
caused by insect bites, foods, medications, latex, and other causes. Symptoms
of allergic reaction include wheezing, shortness of breath, low blood pressure,
hives, itching, swelling, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and loss of bladder control. 

I'd be curious to know how many people attend this potluck. 
(The names have been changed to protect the crazy people hosting this gig).  

Swollen hand from a Yellow Jacket sting

The long lasting oozing & itching blisters from poison oak...

Anyone feel like going to this picnic???


Spadoman said...

I'm curious to know how you got invited! :-)


D.K. Raed said...

I'm scared to death of yellow jackets. They look so evil!

I know I know, I should recognize their place in nature, but damn if I'd hike through yellow jackets for a picnic.

Expect the nasty wasps to follow the people carrying all those tasty dishes thus creating more fun for the kiddies swatting them away at the picnic tables!

Fran said...

Spado~ Are you implying they invited people they DON'T like, to hang w the poison oak & yellow jackets???

No it was a general invite to the Quaker Friends
in a weekly bulletin... nothing I said-- I SWEAR!!!

DK~ They are testy & do a multiple sting thing... easily provoked.
But having once immersed myself in poison oak, then soaked in a hot tub.... I have been in the Emergency room w head to toe poison oak that blistered & oozed for months & that is WITH steroid injections.
I am so highly sensitive to the stuff now that I even got it when the husband & son went hiking around it & I got it from then wiping hands on the bathroom towel!

I even once got it in the middle of winter when poison oak is allegedly dormant & a bare stick (hard to identify)... we went to a Christmas tree farm to fresh cut a tree & the next day...
I could barely open my eyes-- poison oak!

I stay away from the stuff now like it's... poison!

D.K. Raed said...

Fran I've never had a poison oak or ivy reaction. I know I've passed them on hikes (and given them wide berth). From a bare winter stick? Winter, when you must have been wearing long pants and coat, maybe even gloves? You are super sensitive!

But I did once suffer a bad black window spider bite and had a whole body reaction so I know it is pretty painful. The original bite on my calf turned my face turned into a giant puffball. I got a little panicky. Ended up calling a friend in ER who told me to take antihistamines and come in if I started to have trouble breathing. Naturally after she said that I was fixated on breathing! Took a couple days to return to normal.

jeez hope that is not YOUR leg in pic?

D.K. Raed said...

black WIDOW! arghh ...

Fran said...

No-- I did not go to the picnic & that is not a pic of me or my leg- but those blisters itch like hell & the goo inside contains the poison so as they ooze, it continues to spread the blistering oozing itching mess.

Yes I am super sensitive to the stuff.