Thursday, April 9, 2009
Thursday tune & Vintage Molly Ivins
Horse with no Name~ America
Better I stay away from current topics. Taxes are done, the weekend is just around the corner.
Some early flowers are in bloom, and pollen is in the air. Ahhh Chooooo!
I miss Molly Ivins~ here are some quotes:
• The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging.
• What you need is sustained outrage...there's far too much unthinking respect given to authority.
• The thing about democracy, beloveds, is that it is not neat, orderly, or quiet. It requires a certain relish for confusion.
• I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives.
• One function of the income gap is that the people at the top of the heap have a hard time even seeing those at the bottom. They practically need a telescope. The pharaohs of ancient Egypt probably didn't waste a lot of time thinking about the people who built their pyramids, either. OK, so it's not that bad yet -- but it's getting that bad.
• The United States of America is still run by its citizens. The government works for us. Rank imperialism and warmongering are not American traditions or values. We do not need to dominate the world. We want and need to work with other nations. We want to find solutions other than killing people. Not in our name, not with our money, not with our children's blood.
• from her last column, January 11, 2007: We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some action to help stop this war. Raise hell. Think of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous. Make our troops know we're for them and trying to get them out of there.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks Fran for the delicious repast of Ivins samplings. Hard to believe she's been gone more than 2 years already. She was a Texan that grew into a national treasure.
I suppose that's why the cosmos gave us Dubya - to counterbalance (and undo?) the good she had done. Must maintain cosmic equilibrium, I suppose.
p.s. - You know I was gagging all while writing that second paragraph, right? You DO know that, right?
Dada ~ I know you relish sarcasm & off the cuff humor, so any tribute to bush is in jest.
Molly really gave Texas a good name!
She sure kept the zingers coming.
Her wisdom lives on.
One of my favorite wits from the Lone Star State.
Molly lives on....
in all of us...
I miss her too...alot...
Post a Comment