Sunday, January 29, 2012

Cease & Desist

Newt Gingrich's campaign has been given a Cease & Desist order from the band "The Heavy", saying he does not have permission to use their song, and they do not support his candidacy.

Lyric excerpts from the song:

Lyrics to How You Like Me Now :

Now there was a time
When you loved me so
I could have been wrong
But now you needed to know
See, I've been a bad, bad, bad, bad man
And I'm in deep, Yes I am
I found a brand new love for this man
And I can't wait till you see
I can't wait

So how you like me now
How you like me now

Remember the time
When I eat you up
You know that I wasn't lyin'
that you can't give up
So if I was to cheat
on you baby would you see right through me
If I sing a sad, sad, sad, sad song
would you give it to me

How you like me now

Does that make you love me baby
Does that make you want me baby


How you like me now (end)

Although we agree Newt is a  a bad, bad, bad, bad man
and some of us do see right through him,
his is a  a sad, sad, sad, sad song
it neither makes me love or want him (ewwww).


Other potential theme songs for Newt:

Lynard Skynard's - Don't ask me no questions, and I won't tell you no lies

Liar Liar- The Castaways is more like it...


You have a theme song recommendation for the Gingrich campaign?


• Tom Petty- Michelle Bachmann used An American Girl
• Tom Petty- George W. Bush for using "I Won't Back Down"?
 Don Henley (Eagles)- “The Boys of Summer” and “All She Wants to Do Is Dance”—in web campaign videos for Charles DeVore, sucessfully sued him.
• Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA (Saint) Ronald Reagan
• Jackson Browne sued John McCain, the Republican National Committee and the Ohio Republican Party for the use of his 1977 song “Running on Empty” in a campaign ad without asking permission. 
• During his 2010 bid for U.S. Senate, Republican Rand Paul used two songs by the band Rush to pump up crowds and add background music to a promotional video. This prompted Rush's lawyer to write to Paul's team, claiming the politician never asked permission to use the tunes.
• In 2008, Heart's "Barracuda" played at the Republican National Convention in tribute to then-Vice-President nominee Sarah Palin, whose high-school nickname had been Sarah Barracuda. Heart wanted nothing to do with Palin, sending a stern email to the campaign stating that, "Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image.”


1 comment:

Life As I Know It Now said...

I am not surprised that they don't ask permission because they KNOW they would never get it. Their lawyers probably advise them to use the songs anyway and then pay any penalties they may incur should they be caught and sued. I would suggest that the bands affected really sue the pants off these candidates. They have the money for a protracted court battle, in some cases, and it would embarrass the candidates by labeling them as the thieves they are.